I love the ritual of making New Years resolutions. Any excuse to refocus my priorities and do some life-organizing is perfectly great in my book. I've heard/read about some pretty cool reflection and goal setting traditions this year, like Meg Biram's start/stop list. I also love Apartment Therapy's home "cure" assignments to get your living space back in shape.
I only have one simple strategy, which is to keep my goals both personal and flexible. The "personal" part seems obvious, but sometimes I get caught up on how my goals look on paper without considering what I'm truly passionate about at the moment (speaking for all my type A peeps out there). And the "flexible" part is key because I find that my priorities often shift over the course of a year, which is OK. If I set goals I'm excited to pursue and truly want for myself, I end up achieving them— even if the end result doesn't look exactly like the goal I initially set.
So, here are a few of my intentions for 2015. There are probably too many [read "type A" above], and I'm not sharing them all here. But these are the ones about which I'm most excited:
- [Re]learn Italian— It's totally my fault that I don't speak Italian already. In college, I was able to have conversations (okay, maybe with eight-year-olds, but still). We are thinking of traveling to Sicily this fall, so no more excuses!
- Learn to paint— At the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, a couple of large scale installations by Willem de Kooning really got to me. I'd love to express myself with those wild splashes of color.
- Take better photos— This is something I always strive to to. I love to experiment with lighting and perspective, getting to know my camera and each of my lenses even better.
- Spend more time in museums— We have so many gorgeous museums here in LA, the Getty, LACMA, and I am so excited for the opening of The Broad later in 2015. I only make it to each a few times a year and tend to miss some really good rotating exhibits as a result. This year: no more FOMO (fear of missing out)!
- Nail a double pirouette— When it comes to ballet, I am least confident about my turning (does everyone say that?). Changing that would feel awesome.
- Read, read, read— I already do this, but who said you can't make an intention for something you already love and want to continue doing? Nobody I need to hear from!!
- Bar Method— There is one opening less than five blocks from where I live. There are no excuses now. It's on. I will have to devote a post or two to Bar Method in the future— seriously the best way to get in shape that I've found.
- Forgive [myself]— It's true for most of us, right? We are our own worst critics. This year, I'm scaling back on self-criticism, which I've learned is stressful and unproductive rather than motivating.
Do you set New Years resolutions? If yes, what are your traditions or strategies around goal setting for the year ahead?